Victoria Sponge Cake
Makes: 1 (7 inch) cake
- 150g (6 oz) self raising flour
- 150g (6 oz) sugar
- 150g (6 oz) margarine
- teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- jam for the filling
For the buttercream:
- 100g (4 oz) icing sugar
- 50g (2 oz) butter
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
Preparation time 30 minutes and cooking time 35 minutes
1. Set oven to Gas 3 / 170ºC. Place the shelf in the centre of the oven. Grease two 7" sandwich tins.
2. Sieve the flour into a bowl and add the sugar, margarine, vanilla and eggs. Beat well with a wooden spoon or mixer, until the mixture is light coloured and fluffy.
3. Divide the mixture between the tins and smooth the top, Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown. Turn onto a wire tray to cool.
4. To make the buttercream, sieve the sugar into a bowl, add the butter and vanilla and beat well.
5. To sandwich the cakes together add a layer of jam to the top of one of the sponges, followed by a layer of cream on top of the jam, finish by placing the last of the sponges on top. Dust with a layer of icing sugar if required.